Friday 23 October 2009

St. Joan celebration

8 Via Parc Street

Olot

17800

30th September

Dear Helen,

I had a great time when it was St. Joan! We celebrated it on 21st June. It is a Catalan tradition and people all over Catalonia, and now in Spain, join in the celebrations.

The children and their parents, go out in the street and set off fireworks, it’s fantastic the children laugh or cry, there was too much noise and lights. Usually, before the festival, we collect wood, old furniture, old things that can be burnt... and we put and burn all in a big bonfire. Superstitious people always put a record of that year or a note in the bonfire to have good luck .

In my street, the neighbours often go out, eat “coca de St Joan” and celebrate it together. “La coca de St Joan” (St Joan cake) is made with candied fruits and we only eat on those dates. I love it and I eat it all the week. My family don’t have an especial meal, but the whole family gets together, eat that cake and it’s very especial for me.

Why don’t you visit us next year, and see it? You’ll love it!

Lots of love,

Carla

1 comment:

carmina said...

there's nothing from batxillerat